Frequently Asked Questions

How can JICS assist with my appeal application?

Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services (JICS) officials do not litigate matters in court, we have an agreement with Legal Aid SA to attend to these type of matters provided the applicant qualifies for legal aid at state expense.

Is an inmate allowed a radio in his cell?

The security classification and risk profile of an inmate determines the amenities that the inmate is allowed to enjoy. Generally a person who is awaiting trial is allowed a radio but under strict conditions

An arrested, accused and detained person was assaulted in a police van, where to lodge a complaint?

Complaints relating to misconduct of the South African Police officials can be reported to the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID). Misconduct of DCS officials can be lodged at DCS Departmental Investigative Unit. An inmate also has the right to lay criminal charges with the South African Police Services.

How can an inmate attend a funeral of a direct family member?

Application for Compassionate Leave should be lodged with head of centre directly to avoid delays

How can I lodge a complaint?

Please refer to the Complaints Procedure as set out under the Services tab. (Or click on link)