Matric Elswood Senior Secondary School (Cape)
- Senior Degree University of the Western Cape
- B.Iuris (UWC)
- LLB (UWC)
- Judge of the High Court of South Africa
Additional activities and memberships
- Convener National Operations Committee of National Efficiency Enhancement Committee for
Courts in South Africa
- Member of the National Judicial Case Flow Management Committee and task team for pilot
- ICPA (International Corrections and Prisons Association)
- IPPF (International Penal and Penitentiary Foundation)
- Patron Boland Sports Council
- Patron Ithemba Community Trust
- Member of Expert group advising UNODC (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime) on
Aspects of criminal justice handbook series.
- Member of African Charter of the IARLJ (International Association of refugee Law Judges)
- Chair of Nicro (National Institute for crime prevention and the reintegration of offenders)
- Former ISCCJ (Intersectoral Committee on Child Justice)
- Former Chair National Task Team to address awaiting trial juveniles, Former Member of
Ministerial Task Team to address case backlogs in criminal matters, Former Chairperson
Provincial Honours Committee, Former Director National Sea Rescue Institute, Former Chair
South African Board for Sheriffs (SABFS), Former Acting Judge of Prisons
In my early years I became involved in various community and sporting organisations and served inter alia as an executive member of local civic, sports clubs and the sports board of control. In later years I also served on the church council and its various subcommittees. I spent ten years in the Department of Justice being District, Regional Court Prosecutor and magistrate in both District and Regional Courts. I also served as District; Regional Control – and Senior Prosecutor. I therefore built up extensive experience in the management of various components of the Criminal Justice System with a special interest in Juvenile Justice. Worked closely with CLS under the leadership of Dullah Omar in this field. During 1987 – 1989, whilst serving as a Control Prosecutor at Mitchells Plain I managed; by including various role players including community organisations effectively curtail crime and delivering an effective service to the community. The outstanding cases to be dealt with were substantially reduced under my leadership. I was twice awarded merit awards during this period.
During 1994 I joined the Cape Bar after serving pupillage with Justice Siraj Desai. My practice quickly grew into a substantial trial practice. I represented a diversity of clients. In September 1999 I acted as a Judge of the High Court to December 2000. I was appointed as a permanent Judge in the High Court in January 2001 and also a Judge in the Equality Court. On community level I held the posts inter alia of Vice Chair of the Board of Child Welfare Cape Town, Vice Chair Simonsberg Primary School Governing Body, founder member of Advocates for Transformation (Western Cape) (AFT), a board member of the Human Rights and Advocacy Project of the National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADEL), Chairman first Kraaifontein East Scout Group, Chairman PTSA St George’s Grammar School.